Saturday, 9 June 2018

You Take the Good, You Take the Bad

The Facts of Blogging

This blog is aimed at educators that are wondering, is blogging my thing?  Should I make it my thing?

Though I've moved towards Google Apps for Education (GAFE), blogs still serve as a great communication tool for students, parents and the school community.

Blogging tools, such as Blogger, are a great tool for users of all abilities.  You can make your blog as simple or as complicated as you'd like.  Below, I've taken the good, and taken the bad and there you have the facts about blogging.  Read on!


Advantages

  • Great communication tool.
  • Gives your students a voice if they are blogging or responding to posts.
  • Allow for shy or reluctant participanats to have a say.
  • Allows for students who need it, additional time to reflect on their work.
  • Promotes and encourages writing and allows readers to analyze the texts.
Concerns
  • Student comments need to be carefully monitored or moderated. 
  • Can be difficult to assess. 
  • Students need to be taught how to blog, it cannot simply be assumed. 
  • Students may opt to use more casual dialogue and/or slang that they might not if they were participating in a class discussion or written report. 

I've included three blogs that I have found very helpful over the years.  Mr. Schu's blog is a must for librarians, language teacher or anyone who enjoys a good book.  The other two Madame Aiello's and Toronto Teacher mom are great resources for FSL teachers.  Please give them a follow and don't be afraid to comment on their posts.

No comments:

Post a Comment